Georgia, the Country
Georgia is mind blowing.
First of all the fact that everyone speaks Russian, or at least the
older generation - it’s like visiting an exotic land with a full access to the
culture.
My general impression of Tbilisi is of a city that used to
be the capital of a great empire and then lost all its glamour and now stands
in ruins. Anna lives in the historic
center, you could see that the houses were once very beautiful, with exquisite
decorations, terraces and huge windows.
Now they are in such an advanced state of decay that many of the
apartments stand empty because the ceilings are falling down and the stairs are
broken. Makes me think of Ayn Rand
descriptions of gentry mansions taken by peasant families after the great
revolution. I’ve been to third world
countries and I’ve seen greater poverty and misery, but there’s something
really tragic about the city, which reminds me also how I felt in Havana Cuba,
that these people can do much better and they’ve done better and they can still
remember it.
Soviet memories are everywhere. The subway looks exactly like in Moscow, only
cheaper. The same marble walls, super
long and superfast escalators, and the clock that’s counting the time since the
last train instead of the time left.
Soviet broken roads, Soviet cars along with the Mercedeses, Soviet
faces. Old grandmothers selling stuff on
every street corner, sunflower seeds, cigarettes (€1 for a pack of Camels
official price!) popcorn, little green Sauer plums, Soviet books in Russian and
Georgian about the latest advancement of the five year plan.
My friend Anna told me that the new state has been
implementing the most predatory form of capitalism, getting rid of such things
as production quality control, import tax (thus the cigarette price) and
vehicle pollution control under the pretext that the free market will
regularize it by itself. And it does in
its own way, people get sick all the time and it’s hard to breathe in the city,
which makes smoking and extra cigarettes not much of a difference.
When I asked my next seat neighbor in the airplane what
George is like, he said something enigmatic along the lines of “I can’t quite
characterize it, but maybe it will make you feel like a woman…”. Ha! He was right!
Men stare at you all the time here, like you were both naked AND having
horns and tail. And it’s not like
Georgian women don’t dress three times sexier than me, with their long hair,
summer dresses and high heels. But Anna
said you can tell, who is a Georgian virgin, even if her hymen has only been
technically repaired, and who is a slutty foreigner, better even from the
“post-Soviet space”. She promised that
they only look and don’t touch, but it’s very intimidating, not least because
of the bad fame the rough men from Caucasus earned in the Soviet movies of my
childhood.
Anna is good fun. She
has a huge apartment with the porch overlooking the president’s private estate
on top of the mountain with a private helicopter landing platform. Downstairs there is a bakery, so you can
smell the rising dough all night and dream of hot buns dressed in Soviet
uniform staring you while munching on their Churchkhela. Tonight we’re going to the Freedom Music
Festival, hopefully to see some alternative Tbilisi scene.
***********
The music festival was a strangely anti-commercial experience. The entrance was free, but you had to go to
some place to ask some people to give you the tickets, who diligently wrote
down your email address and transliterated your name in Georgian on the guest
list, handing you four tickets at once, which canceled the ideal face control.
We met up with Anna’s friends at the main square, six of us,
to catch a taxi to the venue. Without
further ado the guys thumb down a car and squeeze in, all the six, I follow
without giving it too much thought because my mind is occupied by the attempt
to rationalize the fact that the driver sits on the right side of the car. “Ah
that? It’s because he imported it from Japan.
I told you, low income tax” says Anna.
The festival looks like a normal music festival, only that
there are no sponsor ads, no one tries to sell anything, no Coca-Cola, Pepsi or
Nike in sight, only nameless bier and cigarettes. Why would you be selling so many cigarettes
at a music festival? How many cigarettes
can a person smoke? Probably less than
hot dogs, hamburgers and French fries he could and would want to eat. I catch myself on the thought that I’m
actually trying to come up with a marketing strategy for the event. Why am I doing this? I stop.
I’m looking at men. I notice that
they outnumber women probably 5 to 1. Georgi, our Georgian friend, tells us
that mothers often abort female babies.
He also tells us that it’s the first electronic festival in Georgia,
rock music is more popular here.
Electronic music is played in only one club which became marginal since
its frequented by the gay community.
Last month there was a huge anti-homosexual demonstration led by
clerics, where people were beaten up badly, which left the more progressive
youth in the state of shock. People were
afraid that the festival can provoke another homophobe reaction.
******************
The next day Anna took me to the famous Georgian
mountains. I know I have mentioned my
Soviet childhood already, but this one was like a direct time travel, back to
that summer when we took the train to the Black Sea, my parents and I, for
three days and three nights sharing a tiny dusty cabin with a strange lady,
eating boiled chicken out of aluminum foil, buying salted fish from vendors at
all the train stations in the middle of nowhere, since for me any place outside
of Moscow was a nowhere. The trains are
still the same, with the sign saying “stop-kran” in Russian and an electric
socket with a picture of little electric shaver next to it, only the toilets
got smellier, as if no one washed them since 1987, and the car conductor didn’t
serve tea in the glasses with a metal glass holder à la bourgeoisie anymore -
just another evidence for my growing certainty that life here was actually
better under communism, for all the wrong reasons.
From the train station we took a minivan up to the
mountains, four hours speeding up on a serpentine road, two times almost
crashing into stray calves, forced to listen to a deadly mixture of cheesy
Russian disco and Georgian folklore.
From the main village we still had to hitchhike to a more remote one
where the aunt of Anna’s Georgian friend would let us stay overnight in the
deserted family house. On the first ride
we learned that nothing can stop a Georgian man from trying to marry a blond
woman (Anna). The second driver who
picked us up turned out to be Anna’s friend’s classmate, both called Georgi,
two out of the six Georgis in a class of 17 boys, how convenient. Georgi nº 2
took us straight to number one’s aunt’s house “ah Margiani! Of course I know where he lives! Also if you want, after you settle down I can
take you on a hike in the mountains , I was just about to show Lasha, my
friends here , the trail that he has to take his British tourists on Monday
”. Of course we do!
The views were breathtaking, just as promised by Google
Images. Our communication was strenuous
at the beginning, but we quickly found a way to get along in a mixture of three
languages out of the ten we shared between us.
It tuned out that apart from a basic English, a broken Russian, Georgian and the regional Svan,
Georgi also spoke an impressive German, thanks to an internships in honey
production he did in Germany. But some
things didn’t require talking. At the
top of the hill Georgi produced a 500 cc
Coca-Cola bottle filled with homemade Georgian apple brew with over 40%
alcohol, then he sliced up two tomatoes and set up for a feast. After the first serving Georgi and Lasha
started singing acappella traditional Georgian songs, on the second serving we
all started dancing, after the third we realized that the sun was setting down
and that we were starving.
Serendipitously, Georgi 2 had an aunt in the very same village, who,
apparently like every other aunt, baked hachapuri for dinner out of fresh dairy
products and was always happy to receive guests. Tasting homemade cheese and feijoa jam was as
amazing to me as the fact that I possessed a language in which I could
communicate to an old woman in a place with no roads and no running water, and
that the reason why her nephew could speak the same language was because
Russian dubbed movies were much more widely available for download than the
ones in Georgian. Another surprising
discovery was that all of these amazing fresh products could be easily
purchased in the local grocery in the capital Tbilisi. Just like that, with no list of ingredients
or calorie count or expiration date, you just have to trust the lady at the
counter when she says “this one is from the factory, but that one is from the
village. If you want that one you better
come tomorrow, because today it’s a day old.” When I told this story to my
grandmother in Israel, I tried her “granny, do you know how to make tvorog?”
sure, she said, “it’s very easy. By the way do you know that they opened a
store called “Tbilisi” in my building?
They sell matzoni and sulguni and all the other stuff, but our Georgian
tailor says that their lavash is really bad.” This made a perfect economic
sense. According to the man I chatted up in the Tbilisi synagogue, out of the
140,000 Georgian Jews more than 120,000 found their way to Israel over the last
two decades, only 4000 have stayed in the city.
In fact Georgia has a very special relationship with Israel. The official reason is that the Georgians
just love the Jews, making the perfect neighbors for the last 25 centuries,
never a scandal, never a ghetto. The
unofficial reason is that Israel has been selling it weapons, supporting
Georgia against Russia. The conspiracy
theory version I learned from an Israeli backpacker is that the former minister
of defense was a Georgian jew who returned from Israel back to Georgia for a
political career. At any rate, for the
first time in my life saying that I am an Israeli was magical, like saying that
I’m the lost daughter of John Lennon to a hippy or the adopted granddaughter of
Martin Luther King to a lefty. Taxi
drivers gave me free rides, village people invited me to stay over, everyone
had a classmate or a colleague who left for Israel, some went there themselves
as pilgrims, others for medical tourism.
I made a meager attempt to explain the occupation and the militarism
with no avail.
Back to the story, after filling our tummies we taught
Georgi and Lasha to play charades, quickly converging on Soviet themes – we all
remembered “zelyonka”, the green substance you smear on your chicken pox; we
all read “The Twelve Chairs”, a post-revolutionary satire; and we all put
“naftalin” odor balls in the closet
against the moth – be it in Russia, Ukraine or Georgia.
For me, Georgia seemed to exist in a different time and
space, which made me connect to people on a different new level. Back in Tbilisi I met an Iranian guy in a
bar, a professor in industrial engineering researching renewable energies,
hitchhiking all around South and Central Asia and the Muslim world. We had a lengthy conversation about democracy
and U.S. intervention, while I tried in vain to understand the intricacies of
what is allowed and forbidden in Iran.
I’ve realized that I knew all about the Algerians and the Moroccans in
France, the Turks and the Palestinians in Germany, the Mexicans in the U.S.,
Who moved where why and how, who does whose dirty job, who goes where for
vacation. But I had no idea that the
migrant workers in Iran are the Afghans and the Tajiks since they all share the
Persian language; I didn’t know that there are no diplomatic relations between
the neighboring Armenia and Azerbaijan, so my Iranian friend had to cross from
the one to the other through Georgia.
It’s funny that not being European at all I found myself so
Euro-centered. The mental distance from Tel Aviv to Paris was so much shorter
than from Tel Aviv to Amman, and Teheran was further than the moon.
Back in Paris I’m taking a Sunday off, finally finding the
time to go to the city historical museum.
Miniatures of the Bastille, portraits of Marie Antoinette and
Robespierre, elegant ballrooms, exquisite ladies with huge feather hats,
pictures of Montmartre in the rain, literary salons and cafes – all so
familiar, for me these are childhood memories from Moscow museums and the
depictions of Russian aristocracy in Pushkin’s poems. Tbilisi also reminded me that Paris was there
before Moscow - the once beautiful old city art nouveau facades, the old post
cards with French inscriptions underneath the Russian. It’s funny how fast we forget.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home